What can I expect from my appointment with a counsellor?
Are you going to see a counsellor for the first time? Good for you for making your mental health a priority!
We get it, that’s why we offer an initial no obligation consultation to new every new client. The first meeting can be daunting, and understandably so. The fear of the unexpected, of being judged, of not connecting – you are not alone in feeling trepidation about telling your life’s secrets to a stranger. The important thing to remember is that you have taken the hardest step already, and that is reaching out for help in the first place. Just acknowledging your own need for outside assistance is a massive achievement.
Let’s break down the first appointment into less ominous parts:
Preparing for the conversation
Halcyon Counselling Clinic provides a 30-minute free consultation over the phone, face to face or video/online. These are some of the things that you and your counsellor will talk about:
- What do you hope to get out of your sessions?
- What are you struggling with?
- Which problem is a priority and needs your attention first?
- What is your goal?
- How long have you been experiencing these problems?
- What have you done to solve them? What can you do now?
- For relationship counselling: Do you both have the same goal?
- At the end of the discussion, you (the client) may proceed and ask questions you would like to ask the counsellor. You can use this to get to know your counsellor and decide if you and the counsellor can work together.
How can the counsellor help?
After discussing all the questions mentioned above, the counsellor, in this appointment is establishing what your motivations are, a bit of your history, your family’s mental health history, how you see yourself, the problems you are dealing with, and at the end of the call if they can work with you, and if you are happy with their approach, you may book a paid session with them and start receiving counselling sessions face to face, phone or video/online.